Friday, February 19, 2010

I learned a lot today

Yup, I wanted to CASH (copy as seen here) http://www.debneerman.blogspot.com/   Deb is one of my legionnaires. Lovvvveee her. She always has time for me. She is on the Design Team of Sharon Johnson's "No Time To Stamp." http://notimetostamp.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/2010/02/18/stamp-simply-127-recipe-card-with-a-twist/
Sharon is a big fan of Diana Gabaldon tomes...so looovvve her too. And she has the most fab blog that's super easy to navigate and has tutes galore on anything you can think of. 
So, what I learned is that striped papers are not always a good idea. Depending on your sketch, you can be forced to try to match them up. As you can see, I couldn't quite do it here. I used these stripes, 'cause I was determined to use that beautiful ribbon and I had no paper that matched except this one. Now, I've seen people do the matchy thing with great results, but I don't seem to have that kinda' flair. As an aside, this is a reason to be a Stampin' Up demo, as they are the stamp company to beat when it comes to super matchy. I am a CTMH demo right now...  hobby only, I haven't accumulated much in the way of matchy. So my stripes don't match and they are too bold and the musical paper is too dull, so this card is about what not to do. I will be trying this sketch again, because I really like it and it's a 2 for 1 with the concept of a gift card holder. My card (ya gotta imagine...) is a from a store that sells cds. The background is one of those Nestie Impressibilities. They leave a more subtle impression than CB folders. SU black is the base and Paper Temptress craft brown is the Nestie mat. The deigner ds is from Joann's loose stuff and the ribbon and button is from my stash. The musical note is a tiny stamp from Michaels and the sentiment is SU's Congrats.

OK fans, gotta run...showing the house to some Canadians again. What's up with that. Do ya think they're coming for our great health care system???

Blessings, Erica

3 comments:

Deb Neerman said...

WoW! This IS great, Erica! Your stripes are almost perfect ... and matching stripes are next to impossible! I rarely use 'em ... 'cuz I'm a l'il cockeyed, lolol!

I really do think the papers look great together and the color combination rocks! And your tag pull with the ribbon and the button is a big improvement over mine!

I'm thinking that if you photograph this card on an angle you could create the illusion that the stripes line up. And really, it's all about the photo on the Internet, right?!? LOLOL!

Sharon is amazingly talented, her projects are always so stunning, and she's such a nice person. I wish I was on her design team; I'm only guest designing for the month of February.

Anyway, I really love what you did with the concept! I feel so humbled that you liked it enough to try it. You da bombetta!

We have lots of Canadian residents down here in the winter. I'm positive they come for the weather NOT our crappy health care system, lolol!

Have a great weekend and thanks for all of your kind words!! You're a peach!

~Hugs, Deb

shannon said...

i love the masculine colors. I had never heard CASH before...but ain't it the truth...especially when the inspiration piece is awesome! (it's not "stealing", it's immitating something wonderful!) :)

Janine said...

Love your card!! I am so glad that you took the time to stop in!
I will be back to visit you too!!